American Cancer Society's Hope Ball @ Home - This Saturday
Annual Gala Benefiting Childhood Cancer Research Goes Virtual; Honors Arthur Blank
ATLANTA – This year, Atlanta’s social and corporate communities will gather virtually for American Cancer Society’s signature fundraising event, the Hope Ball gala. Presented by Delta Air Lines on Saturday, August 29, at 7 p.m., the Hope Ball @ Home will stream live on the American Cancer Society’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/AmerCancerSociety. Mike Moore, senior vice president, Maintenance Operations at Delta TechOps, returns as 2020 Hope Ball chair and Latanza Adjei, sales vice president at Georgia Power Company and Ken McCue, vice president, Delta Air Lines, and president, Delta Material Services, will co-chair the event. The hour-long live stream will feature stories of hope, special guests, entertainment, and live and silent auctions.
“Like many nonprofits, the American Cancer Society has had to cancel all its face-to-face fundraising events, putting millions of research and patient program dollars at risk,” says Brant Woodward, executive vice president for the American Cancer Society Southeast Region. “Postponed events, coupled with a dramatic dip in charitable donations, have led to a revenue shortfall no one could have predicted. Despite the daunting circumstances, the mission of the American Cancer Society must continue.”
Among the event’s highlights:
• Fred Blankenship & Linda Stouffer, WSB-TV Channel 2 Action News morning anchors, will emcee.
• Best known as co-founder of The Home Depot and owner of the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta UnitedFC, Arthur Blank will be presented with the 2020 Hope Award. Blank, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2015, is an advocate for men’s health and early detection of the disease.
• NFL Player’s Choir performs “This Little Light of Mine”
• Mission Moment will feature Jenn Hobby, who shares the cancer journey of her young daughter Reese, along with pediatric cancer researcher Dr. Ryan Summers, who works in the laboratory of ACS grant-funded researcher Dr. Douglas Graham at Emory Winship Cancer Institute.
• Mixology break with Mercedes O’Brien, former cocktail director at Atlanta’s Gunshow restaurant and founder of Sippn’ at Home, a cocktail kit service. Mercedes will demonstrate how to make “Helen’s Hope” in honor of her grandmother who passed away from breast cancer.
• Experience a gala dinner from the comfort of home as Southern Belle’s Chef Joey Ward serves up a delicious to-go feast. Order for Friday or Saturday pick-up. A portion of proceeds benefits ACS.
• Auctioneer Magen McRoberts will conduct an actual live auction. Five live auction items include East Lake Golf Club & PGA Superstore experience, Delta Air Lines getaway, Blalock Farms Hunting & Sporting escape, Silversea luxury cruise, and a dinner at the St. Regis for 12.
• PK in the Morning show featuring PK, Denise, Duryan, and DJ Babey Drew from Power 96.1 will host the Hope Ball at Home after party.
Up to and on event night, funds raised during the Hope Ball Mission Moment will support childhood cancer research in partnership with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. After accidents, childhood cancer is the second leading cause of death in children, and the leading disease-related cause of death for children ages 1 to 19.
"We are pleased to be a part of the 2020 Hope Ball @ Home honoring Arthur Blank and supporting the American Cancer Society and St. Baldrick’s Foundation,” says Mike Moore. “During this difficult time, our gifts are more important than ever. We hope to have record numbers of people join us and virtually raise their hands to donate to the fight against childhood cancer.”
“The generosity and ongoing support of Delta Air Lines through the coronavirus pandemic speaks to their commitment to our mission of saving lives, celebrating lives, and leading the fight for a world without cancer,” Woodward says. “Never before in ACS’s 107-year history has the mission been more at risk than it is now however, with the support of Delta and all our wonderful partners, we have been able to pivot and devise a plan for how we engage and serve communities with a greater focus on digital connections like we’re doing with Hope Ball @ Home. With courage, determination, and some innovation, the mission will not stop on our watch.”
A live and silent auction featuring travel packages, jewelry, sports collector’s items, and spa packages is now open for bidding at https://atlhopeball2020.ggo.bid/bidding/package-browse. For more information, visit www.hopeball.org. Stay connected on Facebookat www.facebook.com/hopeballatlanta and on Instagram at @hopeballatlanta - #HopeBallATL #Conquerchildhoodcancer.